Working with local licensing authorities
The Gambling Act 2005 designates certain classes of local authorities in England and Wales (and licensing boards in Scotland) as licensing authorities.
Licensing authorities have local responsibilities for gambling
Licensing authorities have a number of important regulatory functions in relation to licensing premises for gambling including:
- issuing premises licences
- regulating gaming and gaming machines in clubs, and on alcohol licensed premises
- granting permits to family entertainment centres for the use of certain lower stake gaming machines
- granting permits for prize gaming
- registering small society lotteries
- horse and dog tracks
- inspection and enforcement of licences, permits and permissions.
You can find your local council on GOV.UK (opens in a new tab)
How we work with other organisations and agencies Next page
Match-fixing and sports betting integrity